Today’s devotional is the outline of a sermon I preached many years ago which I hope will help you get a firm grasp on the principle: Sola Scriptura. God bless you.
Because of Calvary,
Isaiah 8:20Isaiah 8:20 English Standard Version (ESV)
20 To the teaching and to the testimony! If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn.
LISTEN TO THE WORD!
The mark of the age in which we live is confusion! Men do not know where to turn for truth or direction. Turn to the Lord, say the Scriptures. So says our TEXT:
- Where Not To Go:
- To the Occult: v. 19. Horoscopes, fortunetellers, etc. Deuteronomy 18:10-12. “Oh, I know such and such which came true!” If it did, especially stay away from that person because if they have true power, it comes from the Devil!
- To Your Reason: Proverbs 3:5,6
- To the Expert: Psalm 1:1-3
- To the Self: “This is how I feel; this is what I think; this is the way I believe.” So what? Can you prove it from Scripture? Don’t trust yourself; trust God! He, not us, is the measure of all things. If you don’t like a doctrine taught or a practice commanded but it’s in the Bible, change your dislike for like!
- Where To Go:
- The Word of God:
Study it through;
Write it down;
Pray it in;
Live it out;
Pass it on. — J. Wilbur Chapman
Anything or anyone who does not agree with God is wrong and a fool! “But there are so many things the Bible does not cover.” It does, however, tell you where to go in such cases.
- The Chain of Command
- Wives should go to their husbands.
- Children should go to their parents.
- Sheep should go to their shepherds.
“But authority can be abused!” That’s true, but you have the Word to correct that and God to safeguard you. Follow it; trust Him.
What does the Word say about you? You are lost and need saving! Jesus died for sinners and offers to save you if you will look to Him. Turn from sin and trust in Christ as Lord and Savior NOW!